U.S.A.1971The "Loose Cushion Armchair" of 1971 was the the last chair designed by Charles Eames. Though similar to the much more common Eames chairs with all-fiberglass shells, it was substantially modified in form (the taller back being the most obvious refinement), and was made using a highly innovative process that was awarded several patents. An executive desk chair that swivels, tilts, and adjusts for height, the Loose Cushion Armchair was available in a variety of upholstery materials, most of them vinyl or fabric. This is a rare example covered in leather, beautifully stitched with double French seams. In 1973, Arthur Drexler, Director of the Museum of Modern Art’s Department of Architecture and Design, waxed poetic about the Loose Cushion Armchair: "Technically, this chair is among Eames’ most sophisticated and carefully studied productions… Sleek, polished, impeccably detailed, the molded and padded shell of this chair suggests the world of aviation. It also manages to be at once precise and voluptuous, and seems to convey as much of the mood or image of its day as the plywood furniture did in the ‘forties." Needless to say, the Loose Cushion Armchair is in MOMA’s permanent collection. (Please note: though the chair rides on castors, these can be removed and replaced with glides, lowering the chair several inches, and making it suitable for use as a lounge chair.)
Original Condition – Good
Measurements height: 34 in. depth: 28 in. width/length: 26 in.
Specifications Number of items: 1
Materials/Techniques: Leather upholstery over padded fiberglass shell, cast aluminum swivel/tilt base
Creator: Charles Eames
Apartment Therapy Classifieds has a messaging system for communicating with other members, allowing you to converse freely without exposing your email address or cluttering your inbox. You can respond to a message by replying to an email notification, via our website or iPhone app.
Use our messaging system for all communications. In case of a dispute where you’d like us to intervene, the message thread serves as a transaction record with all relevant details.
- If you’re interested in a listing, click “Contact Seller” and send a nice note.
- Be clear, honest, kind and prompt throughout the transaction.
- If the seller doesn’t respond, let us know at email@example.com.
- Do not share personal information such as your postal address, phone number or email address until an agreeable deal has been made.
- Learn more about trust and safety.
- For in-person pickup or local delivery, pay in-person.
- Seller is required to give a receipt, if the buyer requests it.
- Only certified members may request online payment.
- For postal shipping, we recommend PayPal.
- Do not share your PayPal email address, request an invoice instead.
- Learn more about acceptable payment methods.
- By default, all listings are for in-person pickup only.
- Only certified members may offer local delivery or postal shipping.
- Agree on a price for delivery, shipping and handling fees.
- For postal shipping, request a tracking number.
- Learn about staying safe during in-person pickups.
- For in-person pickups, sales are final once purchased.
- For shipping and local delivery, ask the seller about their return policy.
- In most cases, a seller will not accept returns for “buyer's remorse”.
- A seller must accept returns if the item is “not as advertised”.
We find that members most often resolve their own issues through direct contact. However, if a resolution cannot be found, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll make it our mission to make sure both parties are happy.
In your inbox, you have the ability to rate your experience with a member. The rating must be based on your personal experience with the member while using Krrb. “Member Ratings” are averaged and shown on a member’s corner.
Report as Inappropriate
If you have a general complaint about inappropriate content or activity, please use the “report as inappropriate” feature on the website. We will be notified and take immediate action.
Peace of Mind
Your safety and privacy is our top concern. Krrb was carefully crafted to ensure your safety and respect your right to privacy. In the unlikely event you encounter a problem, contact us at email@example.com and we will respond ASAP. Or you can call us at +1 646-277-7125 (M-F 9-6pm EST).